Sant'Angelo dei Lombardi
Sant'Angelo dei Lombardi is a beautiful country in “High Irpinia” located near a spur that insists on the waterside line of the Apennine ridge. In fact, it divides the Ansanto Valley, crossed by the Fredane River, a tributary of the Heat, and the left side of the Orante valley in its initial stretch. According to the theses of some historians, the name of the village reflects the cult of St. Michael the Archangel to which the Longobards people were especially devoted, after their conversion to Christianity. Historical tradition feels that these peoples were the origin of the inhabited center during the Middle Ages
Despite the many earthquakes that affected the area, the country still retains its charm. Very interesting to visit is the historic center, rebuilt after the 1980 earthquake and has preserved in part its medieval appearance, Casa Loreto, the magnificent portal of Casa Ricciardi, the Cathedral of Sant'Antonino Martyr by the beautiful sixteenth century façade, the Church And the San Marco Convent built in the 13th century.
A few kilometers from the village stands the splendid Abbey of Goleto, a masterpiece of Romanesque art, founded by San Guglielmo da Vercelli in 1133. It consists of a double monastery (male and female), a Lower Church and a Superior, the Tower Febronia built in the 12th century for defensive purposes using burial materials from Romanesque funerary monuments, and from the eighteenth century Vaccaro church, whose only entrance is preserved and three arches with stone portals and remains of the three masonry altars. The abbey enjoyed its greatest splendor between the XII and the XIV century, beginning its decadence in the early 15th century, in 1505 the female monastery was suppressed by Pope Julius II and aggregated in Montevergine and in 1807 the entire monastery Was abolished by Giuseppe Bonaparte.
The first testimonies - According to historical evidence, the territory of Sant'Angelo dei Lombardi can be considered inhabited even before the vigorous era both because it is halfway between two places of great historical importance for the entire region, the ancient cities of Compsa (Conza della Campania) and Aeclanum (Mirabella Eclano), both because there are not many archaeological finds and epigraphs found in the territory. The construction of the Castle of Sant'Angelo and the nearby forts of Torella, Monticchio and Guardia should be traced back to the second half of the ninth century. These four castles, in fact, were built for defense purposes along the boundary of the Gastaldato di Conza which was part of the Principality of Salerno.
The Birth of the Diocese - It can not be assumed with absolute certainty when Sant'Angelo has become a diocesan seat. It can be assumed, however, that this event took place after the passage to these areas of Roberto il Guiscardo at the time of the conquest of Salerno in 1706. Guiscardo, in fact, believed that its domain could only be consolidated if it had Its part is the ecclesiastical world and in particular the diocesan clergy. Precisely for this reason, he went on to institute more than one diocese and appoint its bishops.
The Angioino - Sant'Angelo dei Lombardi period gained considerable importance during the Angevin period, both for the presence of the bishopric and for the fact that he had feudal lords, among others, de Gianvilla, the Caracciolo and the Imperial. During the reign of Giovanna II of Anjou, the feast of Sant'Angelo was granted to Sergianni Caracciolo, who gave it to his brother Marino. Under the auspices of the latter, in 1432, the University of Sant'Angelo received graces and privileges. Privileges that improved considerably even during the rule of the various barons that change over the years.
The modern era - It is not to be forgotten that the great and passionate participation of the Sanctuaries in the Risorgimento. There were four charity sales in the country and many people paid for their own liberal ideas, being tried and sentenced to prison or exile or out of their jobs. Sant'Angelo gained greater importance during the Napoleonic decade because it became the capital of one of the three administrative districts in which the province of Avellino was divided.
DO YOU PLAN TO VISIT OUR MUSEUM? LOOK AT THE CALENDAR OF THE NEXT EXHIBITIONS OR CONTACT US FOR THE INFORMATION !